King Memorial Library was founded in 1946 when the members of the Womens Institute formed an Association Library as a War Memorial.
The first Librarian and Chairman of the Board was Miss Marjorie Jarvis, the Treasurer Mrs. James Rock, the Secretary Mr. Victor Hall; a volunteer board was elected at an annual public meeting.
The Library was originally housed in an old barn and later in a small frame building, both situated in the Memorial Park. A contemporary financial report showed a typical annual budget of $171.00.
From these modest beginnings, through generous contributions of time and effort by many volunteers, the enterprise survived and flourished the facilities though small, being appreciated by the people of King City and the Township.
In 1956, the Library was located in a further building on Springhill Road and eventually achieved the status of Public Library. The Operation continued until the assets were absorbed into the Township of King Central Library in 1969.
(history provided by) F.H. Phorson